Saturday, October 15, 2005

SEQUINNED HEADPHONES vs. FROMAGE...


Today I went to the Marche aux Puces de Vanves. I spent about three hours there, rummaging and haggling. I realIy fell for a blue enamel sign that said 'Atelier' but the price was 80 euros. I ended up buying one thing that cost one euro. And it wasn't even for me. The problem is I kind of like things when they're all clean and merchandised. If I had seen half the things I dismissed as random crap in the flea market displayed in a nice space and arranged artfully I probably would have desperately needed to own them.

Ding! I just understood the entire concept of antique and vintage stores.

Who wants to rummage at a stinky old market stall when you can pay exhorbitant prices for a bit of old tat in the Rue de Poitou from a shop that has no discernable name? What is this thing in Paris of not clearly showing the name of a place? Maybe the next step will be to remove all the merchandise from display so you have to know exactly what you want and go into the empty space and ask for it.
Je voudrais some sequinned headphones and a stuffed antelope.

I do love the Marais and particularly the area just into the 3rd that I'm talking about but I worry how it will be in 2 or 3 years. I really hope it doesn't succumb to the same fate as Brick Lane and Shoreditch.

A breath of fresh air and a welcome respite from the hype in the same area today was the Marche des Enfants Rouges on the corner of Rue Charlot and Rue de Bretagne. Organic veg, sushi, Moroccan, Italian, flowers, cheese and a friendly atmosphere.

No comments: