Monday, January 28, 2008

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WORD FOR RETRO...



Due to my atrocious time management issues I spent Friday evening finishing a piece about decadent retro stylee speakeasy type basement bars and supper clubs that are kind of like stepping back in time to the 1940s or 50s. Etc. Yeah, titles aren't like my bestest skill, unless they're long and rambling and random. Editors love me for this.

After tapping away about cocktails and punters ravishingly dressed in their best 1940s get ups I was desperate to go out; but it was too late to go anywhere. I consoled myself by making an elderflower martini or two...

Equal parts elderflower cordial, gin (Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray) and Martini Dry in a cold glass. After two of these I thought Eva Longoria was the wittiest, most hilarious guest Jonathan Ross has ever interviewed.

Trawling for images I stumbled upon the photography of Socrates Mitsios (who took this picture) on Flickr. Amazing.

p.s. For those wanting to know, my hair looks something like this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Do you remember I left you the comment about Blueprint being available at Borders TC Road? Whilst having a new year clean out I found the Oct 07 Domino & on my way to the recycling bin I remembered your plea for back issues...would you like it?
Jo

Bexy said...

do you mind being tagged?
hope not
too late
hope you don't mind :)

bexy

Claire said...

hey c&s yes I certainly do remember, I bought the Jan issue there the other day thanks to you. So thank you, yes I would love that issue if you don't mind sending it. I can reimburse you for it/postage. Leave your email in the comments or if you'd rather my email is lolaisbeauty[AT]hotmail[DOT]co[DOT]uk and I'll send you my address - yay!

bexy - ooh I haven't done a tag for ages...ok then...

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it would be acceptable to spend the afternoon drinking elderflower martinis whilst filling in job applications.......

Also! I am in love with the idea of kitty wigs though I know one kitty who would be having NONE of it. And my boy is having nightmares about them, finding them really quite disturbing.

But I love them! Off to read gridskipper now... x

RD said...

Retro seems synonymous with old school or civilized. But what happens a few years from now when retro refers to dubious taste of the '80s?

Let's freeze retro at a certain decade shall we?

cheers,

BB

Claire said...

Fi: I forgot to mention the elderflower martinis are best at around 3.30pm when one is likely to be fatigued. I have a sneaking suspicion someone would LOVE a kittywig.

BB: But weren't the '80s the height of sophistication and glamour? Being allowed to watch Desperately Seeking Susan at an impressionable age has a lot to answer for.

JEANNE-AURORE COLLEUILLE said...

Oooh. Your post brought back memories of "Swing Kids" & now I feel like watching it. I blame you!
I don't know if it's my having obsessed too much about a-ha's bleached jeans as a teen, but the eighties were indeed a height of sophistication... at least to me.
Regarding your book thing, I'd recommend A Confederacy of Dunces, The Subterraneans (classics but so great) and an Australian writer I recently discovered called Elliot Perlman- his book Ambiguities litteraly saved my summer. LCDS

Stephanie said...

Hello from Buffalo, NY! I found your blog through our friend Blue Poppy. What a fabulous hairstyle you have! I almost lost it at the site of that link- thanks for instantly brightening my day! Oh, and Elderflower Martinis, yes please! Enjoy London- I miss it!
~Stephanie