Saturday, April 12, 2008

ESCAPE TO THE KITTENS!...


Ew. After reading this post I decided to do a more thorough check than usual on people who'd made me a contact on Flickr and my photos that had been faved. I mean, I knew, obviously, there's a reason why the photo of my friend and I about to go to a masquerade party has been viewed more times than all the others. I blocked the people who faved it who belonged to groups like "erotic sexy masks" or whatever. I always thought the foot "letishists" were fairly harmless until I was targeted by the red ballet flat letishist. Uck. Just read Holly's post - it's far more eloquent.

The weird thing is that my photos are quite boring - just, here's a pretty flower. I never, well very rarely put up photos of friends or of myself. But the freaks still get through. I used to belong to a group called "what are you wearing today" and they had to change the name because it kept getting infiltrated by people wearing gimp suits. I always think that I use Flickr because I don't print my photos out anymore, but if I have to censor everything I put up there, why am I using it? Going through people who'd made me a contact, blocking people who made me uncomfortable I ended up with only two male contacts left. And I'm pretty sure they're both gay.

But anyway the thing I came in here to tell you is about one guy who had faved something that made me suspicious and had made me a contact. I hadn't reciprocated and when I went to check his photos out I got a Flickr message saying are you sure you want to look at these photos. I said yes, thinking oh god what am I going to see. The first three or four pages of his photostream were really boring photos of buildings. Boring, yet innocuous. I thought there must be a reason - and then from about the fourth page on: eurrghhh oh god, totally sick, abort! abort! I looked up for something to click on to get away and there's a message from Flickr that actually says, "changed your mind about viewing so and so's photos? Take me to the kittens!" I clicked on it and it took me to all the photos of little fluffy kittens (bet there's a pervy kitten "letish" group somewhere anyway). Isn't that amazing? Am I the only person who didn't know about the kitten escape route? It's really exactly what you need to cleanse your palate after seeing something like that. Anyway I hope you never need to use it but really, I don't use Flickr enough to be policing all the freaks on it constantly so I'm not sure what I'll do now.

If you put public photos on Flickr and have never thought about this you'll probably be needing some kittens...



*for Sean Connery letish explanation read Holly's post

4 comments:

RD said...

Yes, kittens are rather a mental-image cleanser. Although Knut the baby polar bear at the Berlin zoo isn't too bad either. In case of emergency, click here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knut_(polar_bear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=469T0eUDA2Q

BB

Anonymous said...

Blimey, I've just noticed that the author of the blog you mention has her actual name in her flickr profile!(unless it's a pseudonym, in which case, just ignore my comment). I'd agree with many things she says if I didn't notice that she tells about her private life quite a lot, both in her blog and in her flickr photostream. Nothing wrong about it, of course, but I believe it is much more dangerous than having "letish" faving pictures of her pointy shoes!
Having said that, I just adore her haircut.
xxx
Mia

Style On Track said...

Oh that is a rather weird thought, I have a flickr account, so this makes me want to go through everyone who has favourited my pics and check them out, now i have the creeps ;)

Jules said...

Haha I had never clicked the kitten mental cleanser, cute idea! I get so many creeps I don't even check their photos, best not to...