Saturday, May 24, 2008

COMING AND GOING...

Going to bed too late and waking up too early. Too tired to sleep. Yesterday morning walking in hot sun on the beach in Dorset, looking out to sea; the promise of a perfect day. But I had to go to the dentist so I hacked it back up the motorway to London in four hours (the petrol cost more than my flight to Italy) listening to this. I was five minutes late for the dentist - shoving my way past dawdling Sloanes - shells collected on the beach that morning still in my pocket. The dentist showed his contempt for my lateness and let my teeth pay for it. Ow. A posh cyclist shouted at me for crossing the road and by reflex I told him to fuck off. The Friday before a bank holiday, the city buzzing with pent up aggression waiting to be released pint by pint. Wandering around like a zombie, wanting to sit down but not wanting to sit down anywhere there. At home, still not unpacked from Italy, washing waiting to be done, a to-do list too long to write, cats to be reassured I'm not leaving again. Siiiggggghhhhhhh...

p.s. I know some of you had bookmarked some of my Gridskipper posts (and those of its many other talented and good looking contributors around the world.) But now that Gridskipper has been turned into a travel guide about The Hamptons by its new owners, those bookmarks will probably get you an error message or a blank page. I meant to say save the posts to your computers/scribble the info on a piece of paper earlier but I didn't quite know how to phrase it; hence my previous cryptic post (rainbow's end / rainbows end. It all hinged on the apostrophe you see.) If you've lost Gridskipper posts of mine that you were hoping to use as a guide when visiting London, feel free to email me and I'll send you the info. Also feel free to email me if you happen to be in charge of hiring writers for a gig as cool as Gskip was. (Unlikely but worth a try.)

*EDIT* the maps are back!

5 comments:

RD said...

cyclist shouted at me for crossing the road and by reflex I told him to fuck off

This is a reflex I need to develop!

BB

Anonymous said...

Well, BB, the safest way is to take a trip to Venice and take vaporetto line #1 at peak hour, make sure that a horde of backpackers comes aboard, and wait until a backpack slaps you right on the face, possibly breaking your glasses. The reflex mentioned above is bound to make its appearance. :)
xox
Mia

Anonymous said...

oh yeah i was disappointed at not finding any gridskipper info on berlin..it's a real shame they stopped.
i'm in search of the perfect berlin breakfast,maybe you can help :)

la femme said...

Bummer about Gridskipper...

I love the Italy photos on your flickr.

Claire said...

BB: for London, you probably need to develop more simmering rage - that should do it. But going to Venice would probably work better and you'd get a nicer lunch as well.

Mlle K: Afraid I've never been to Berlin but Jennine from The Coveted is living there (I think!) - she would probably know...

La Femme: yes it really is!