Tuesday, June 15, 2010

MEMENTO...

memento_venicememento_sicily

In Capri years ago a friend and I stumbled on a perfume line where each of the fragrances had "Capri" in the name. She bought "Capri Sexy" (you had to say sexAAy) and hilarity ensued. I don't remember how it smelled, or if she ever wore it or still has it somewhere.

Thankfully the perfume industry has classed its act up a bit since then. The above images are from the campaign and packaging for two perfumes under the Memento Italian Olfactive Landscapes brand: Venice (top) and Sicily. They were shot by Laura Sciacovelli and art directed by A+design.

Each perfume is meant to evoke a particular time and place: Venice on 22 September 2007, 8am, Vaporetto to the Lido, Venice, which apparently captures the morning air, with notes of sea breeze, salt, star anise, peony, black bog-rush, sand accord, boat fuel, tourist, (ok I made those last two up) sandalwood, patchouli, amber and musk.

Sicily is 6 March 2008, 11am - Piazza Duomo, Ortigia, Siracusa, which gives you spring in Sicily with notes of neroli, freesia, jasmine, helichrysum, hay, cedar, amber, patchouli, myrrh and agarwood.

I've never seen these perfumes before but apparently they've been around for a few years. This is strange because I tend to hang out in the same places as niche perfumes, even in Venice itself and I'm sure I would have noticed these because the packaging is great, it has a cute back story and I'm a complete sucker for stuff like that.

*Edit - Memento has been renamed Made in Italy, if anyone is looking for the perfumes they're exclusive to Harvey Nichols, though I didn't see them when I was there recently.

{photos: Laura Sciacovelli - so beautiful!}

6 comments:

July Stars said...

Laura Sciacovelli's photography is amazing!!!

ephemerette said...

Sicily sounds just my type of scent (trying to tear myself away from my fredric malle habit at the moment) must track down for a sniff x

Claire said...

ephemerette - it actually makes me want to GO to Siracusa and I will be very disappointed if I don't pick up every one of those notes in the Piazza. Also trying to at least limit usage of Frederic Malle, but it's too hard.

Claire said...

JS - isn't it? I think the true test is always if you wish you'd taken a certain photo yourself - and I do...

RD said...

sircusa - that would be interesting - beautiful city, but my snapshot would be at night when the baroque buildings are beautifully lit up... bb

Unknown said...

fabulous photos...and love your versions of the perfumes...;))