Sunday, September 12, 2010

VENICE OUTTAKES...

This Fiat Cinquecento is clearly my Duckie's long lost Italian cousin.
Last weekend in Venice wasn't just about the film festival. Venice also concurrently played host to the Architecture Biennale, the literary prize Il Premio Campiello, the Regata Storica and probably some other major cultural happenings I've missed out.
There was an exhibition of Louise Bourgeois' works on fabric (with a token crouching spider thrown in) at the old salt stores (I might talk about that another time) and an exhibition of Stanley Kubrick's photography, which we ended up deciding not to go to once we got there. We hung out in the foyer bookshop for a bit instead. Turns out it is possible to overdose on art.
{Hayley's photo above}
In Venice you also have to drink a lot of Aperol spritzes (for energy) and eat a lot of gelato (for sustenance). I'm a big fan of a little bacaro my friends go to which is very close to the fish market. There aren't many places I'd happily scarf down a whole raw octopus or a huge plate of sliced raw fish. During this trip I was also initiated into the joys of bottarga: (A&A - it's because I wrote it down!) dried, grated fish eggs (eaten with pasta). Nomz.
(The results of gruelling taste tests show that Grom has the best gelato in Venice. This representation is not from Grom and is shown purely for illustrative purposes.)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

greeaaat photos!!!
love the first photo with sticker apparently suggesting monica vitti heel wearers & marcello mastroianni wanna-be's are not allowed on the boat.
duckie' cousin indeed!
ahhhh the food! ;)
and yes...one can overdose on art. (omg i have had an art hang over before...;))

RD said...

What a brilliant week! Makes me miss Venice, and travel, and friends! xo bb

Claire said...

If Jane - yeah, I want those shoes!

BB - and it and they, miss you! (Oh, we need to talk about you and the white jacket - just reminded me)x

anna said...

she's only gone and bloody well won 'it'! hurrah...good work, Coppola. The Bourgeois looks incredible. I will be checking it at Hauser and Wirth when I am back in London for my film festival bonanza.

Unknown said...

oH! i just realised...is that you twirling yoru hair????

Claire said...

Anna - I know, so happy for her. QT was a little er, emotional handing over the Golden Lion eh? (Or not just emotional if you heard the same gossip as me)The Bourgeois was quite small, but interesting. Ah, good that you're back for the film festival here - just got my BFI mag to flip through.

If Jane - oui, c'est moi! (I can always be recognised from afar by the constant hair twirling)

anna said...

he did seem very emotional in an unnecessarily dramatic way (he had to take "un momento"). I liked the way she just seemed a bit nonplussed by all his posturing.

Claire said...

Yeah! "Momento, momento...

sniiiiiffff!"

July Stars said...

I'm obsessed with Bottarga ... LOVE IT

Claire said...

JS - does this mean you know where to get it in London? We need to have a Bottarga party...

Rose said...

*Sighs* it sounds like you had a perfect, perfect time