Thursday, January 06, 2011

BINKI...

*I am going to write this entire post without using the words girlcrush, It girl or power couple

I've always loved this photo taken on a Paris rooftop, which must be one of the most re-blogged and tumblr-ized photos out there, but I did not know until just now that it's actually Binki in the picture.


Of course! I must confess to developing a certain...admiration for Miss Binki Shapiro. It's not surprising she's being labelled...Look at her in this picture below - she looks like an exact hybrid of Clemence Poesy and Chloe Sevigny.


Yeah, she's friends with Alexa Chung, Michael Cera, Devendra Banhart and Beck; her DJing and tattooing skills are in high demand, she's the girlfriend of Fabrizio Moretti of the Strokes and is his bandmate in Little Joy - she should be totally pointless and annoying like Peaches Geldof! But here's why she's not: She can play (and here is where I tried to look up which instruments Binki plays and came up with) "a zillion" different instruments, has a beautiful singing voice as one third of Little Joy, raised $50,000 for the Haitian relief effort, has a low key natural style mixing vintage and Isabel Marant/Philip Lim; Scott Sternberg of Boy - Band of Outsiders made her tour wardrobe and, according to Refinery 29, she scored an ever better antique rug deal than I did recently. And if you had friends that were called Binki and Fab, wouldn't you expect a perfectly mixed martini upon arrival at their place? 


{photos: 1, unknown, 2, Lauren Dukoff, 3, Kava Gorna/Refinery 29}

11 comments:

Unknown said...

ok...i dig her too! and man! she has the silk-y café au lait shirt that i want...
tisk c'mon...;)

Claire said...

If Jane - I guess we're the only ones!

anna said...

I'll come out and say it...I have a little 'girl crush' on her. I bought the little joy album just because of her, but it seems to be mostly a Moretti production. Still, the girl's got style!

Wendy said...

I see you used one of Lauren Dukoff's photographs but have you seen her book Family? It features photographs of Binki Shapiro (and Fab!) amongst others.

Claire said...

Anna - you said girl crush! I do like listening to Little Joy as well. I guess there's no hope - I too have a girl crush...

Wendy - Yes I've seen it - I love her work, it's brilliant and she's great at capturing that group of people or scene or er, family indeed!

Amandine said...

I love the beauty of this girl too. And you found the right description by saying she's an exact mix of Clemence Poesy and Chloe Sevigny. Absolutely true !

Bombay Beauty said...

"And if you had friends that were called Binki and Fab, wouldn't you expect a perfectly mixed martini upon arrival at their place?"

You raise a key point. Perhaps we could all give our selves noms de guerre? And somehow the stream of fabulous living would follow?

xo

bb

Bombay Beauty said...

saw some of the videos and listened to the music... really nice... bb

Alexandra said...

Hate to say it but she's got that special something!

http://herribbonsandherbows.blogspot.com/

Claire said...

BB - Bombay Beauty is a good one!

Alexandra - true, true...

Ella said...

she does look like clemence and chloe! the best of both worlds! i love her style!