Thursday, October 27, 2011

AT FRIEZE...


I arrived at Frieze slightly irritable that due to a series of events I'd ended up going at the weekend, when the hardcore art people have gone, replaced by families with strollers, the parents of which probably studied fine art before they got jobs in media and started dressing like Jamie Oliver. This put a dampener on my intent to snap pictures of interesting looking people juxtaposed with art, which is one of the things I like to do at Frieze. Crazy art + crazy/interesting people = good fun as far as I'm concerned. By Saturday there's also an air of apathy - all the deals are done, the exhausted gallerists have switched into wearing jeans and are glued to their iphones and laptops while eating salads, not paying any attention to what's going on around them. My preference is to go as early in the week as possible, but maybe I'm spoiled since Nina took me to the preview evening last year and we were, in her words "watching TV" - just gawping at all the crazy/interesting people until our eyes almost fell out.

In the end, after a shaky start rectified by a double macchiato and a lemon meringue cupcake at Gail's, this supplemented by a quince and pear bellini and some smoked salmon at Hix, I had a fine old time - the best part was actually outside where the sculpture was. It was such a beautiful warm autumnal day, it made sense to be outdoors in the park, rather than inside what is essentially a plastic tent, however enormous.

Thank you Aesop for the tickets!

{In the picture: the earth and goldleaf piece is by Michel Francois and the silkscreen on canvas is by David Noonan}

No comments: