Monday, February 06, 2012

SATURDAY NIGHT, SUNDAY MORNING...

Saturday night, snow falls in London. Instagram explodes with snowpics
Sunday morning: I travel by public transport, which 1 inch of snow has yet to cause havoc to.  London friends text me curious to know how it is "outside", and commend me for my extreme bravery and intrepidness at venturing out. 

There's no way I'm staying home, because I'm meeting Elizabeth (who is not going to be fazed by a dusting of snow) for yummy breakfast in Marylebone at Natural Kitchen.
We then go for a walk (translation: I gingerly hobble while Elizabeth props me up) in Regent's Park and we meet this little chap. With wet, frozen feet we bid farewell and I go off to meet Lauren at La Fromagerie for hot chocolate (me) and gratin (her). (I don't know why I have no pictorial evidence of this and wish I had.
After inexcusably directing L to Primark (sorry) I try to go home. The tube/train drivers have now realised they can have a snow day and all trains to where I live have been cancelled for the rest of the day, even though the snow is now melting. After a long, icy and inconvenient detour I am walking up my road and see this cat in a window. Looks warm.
Once home, it takes some emergency measures to defrost my feet and boots - which are soaked, but which were totally fine in the snow in the Stockholm archipelago.

8 comments:

charlotte said...

you were definitely the bravest and intrepidest!

Nancy Baric *negfilm said...

clap clap...and what a delightful raconteuse you are! snow is always pretty to look at, and if properly dressed, to walk in mais...
i say...the first person to start a winter tire (tyre) business will make a mint tout de suite!

Bombay Beauty said...

my old neighborhood! makes me feel a touch nostalgic. scotch is like cogh syrup. intended as a cure for a particular situation (your situation), but delightful on other days as well! xo bb

Young at Heart said...

aagh...your lovely pictures are making me miss the snow already....

Gracia said...

You intrepid snow traveller... I am most appreciative of the visual delights you captured.

lola said...

I came back to uk yeaterday...and I saw snow everywhere... beautiful photos ! xx

Claire said...

Charlotte - I was really brave wasn't I?

Nancy - but unfortunately they would only make money one day per year...we only have about one snowplough for the whole of England because it's not worth the expense of maintaining a fleet of them apparently - cheaper for everyone to have a day off work when it snows...

BB - don't tell me you're "self medicating" with cough syrup (I heard Night Nurse works great!)

Young at Heart, Gracia and Lola - thank you!

Rose said...

wasn't it exciting! Snow never gets old, I battled out to a christening and was rewarded with salmon rillette amongst other treats. It is very cold but I kind of love that feeling on your face, the severity of the weather gives you a weird face lift of sorts!