Tuesday, June 10, 2008

AVOIDING RIDICULE...



Today I realised with dismay that I am getting too old for ironic clothing. I am, to be clear, 32, but it had apparently escaped me that I was to sit out the whole jumpsuit/playsuit thing and would never again buy a pair of £5 heart shaped sunglasses to be worn once for fun. This ending is not something I really ever thought about, as my preference has always veered towards the pared down, even when I was young and skinny. But occasionally my eye would spot something silly and fun and I'd wear it because it suited my mood. No longer. The funny little short poufy skirt I bought at Topshop will remain my sunbathing skirt - which to be fair is what it was intended for until I decided to wear it on Saturday night (with 110 denier opaque tights of course). I changed it for a longer, more sober tulip shaped skirt just before walking out the door. But I can't quite seem to get my head around not being able to wear anything I want to. How boring, how Trinny and Susannah. So now I know: I should have looked at the little short poufy skirt and thought, "that'd be cute for a 12 year old," instead of buying it for myself. Take this as a note of caution young readers: enjoy your ironic clothing years while you can.

I long ago accepted I am too old/wise to buy the high street versions of very high heeled clunky shoes. I'd love some enormously major heels after a year of boycotting any heels post foot breakage (no hyperlink necessary). The dilemma: the real deal are no doubt correctly balanced but cost £1,000 and will be wardrobe obsolete before long; the high street versions look the part but wobble precariously when you try one on and attempt to stand. However; one lady with unlimited access to expensive shoes manages to hilariously disprove the expensive means you can walk rule. On television. While trying to look ice cool.

There's more on this to come, I'm sure. It seems to me this phase could go two ways: Boden or Lanvin. (Better become a millionaire then.)

**EDIT** Ding! I just realised, thanks to BB and Nancy's comments, that I feel like this because I've been spending waaayyy to much time in London. Must go to Paris soon. Until then, visual therapy helps. There is hope! (Read what she says in the text.)
Perhaps I am secretly Parisian?

{Pic: Lula issue 2}

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh dear... i know what you mean... mutton dressed as a lamb is what comes to mind. i'm 33 and yeah, in a way you're right, but i also think it's the perfect time to start finding a different outlet. maybe cheap plastic isn't the way anymore, but being older and more confident means trying more experimental looks... i mean, look at kingdom of style.

i'm happy at my age, and i'm also really happy not to be throwing my money away at h&m divided (i realized last year, i'm too old for that stuff)

Anonymous said...

oh don't fret it, embrace it...seriously. just think of fabulous you are now for isabel marant or zadig et voltaire etc etc etc....
nancy

RD said...

But this is the wisdom of age and European travels! And by age I don't mean old age, I mean a good solid serious number, an age where you are a woman and not a girl... London girls seem to have no sense of what suits either their age or their body. And you will be one of the select few who get to watch horrified as a girl walks by with an extra tire hanging over her too short skirt... What's wrong with looking one's age? This my new motto after seeing a fab Kirsten (that's Scott Thomson not Dunst!) in Paris... No need to hide the lines under the eyes... Just carry yourself with poise and grace, as you do, and all else will follow. End of afternoon stream-of-post-boozy lunch rant...

BB

Joanna Goddard said...

i'm 29 and was just thinking the same thing the other day when i was wearing a very short mini dress with a peter pan collar and suddenly thought, wait, do people think i look silly? i hope not! (although if it means i get to go Lanvin, then ok! :)

Stacy said...

Lavin all the way, and what is so bad about that?

erica lorraine scheidt said...

There's probably a whole new realm urbane irony available to us...

Claire said...

LC: It's true, though I think I'd feel better if I'd actually worn those silly heart shaped glasses when I could've got away with it...

Nancy: You totally have a point - good excuse for a Paris shopping trip!

BB: Oh God, yes. There are too many muffin tops/inadvisable mini skirt/puppy fat combos in this town. I feel for them though - the pressure is to wear those things so they do...to McDonald's.

JG: I think I've seen a picture of you in that dress and no you do not look silly, you look lovely.

Stacy: Maybe I should start a Lanvin pension fund?

Erica: Some urbane irony would be lovely...

thisisnaive said...

I've recently wondered if I've grown out of part of my wardrobe (age-wise) too. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

BB is totally right.
And I am sure you don't actually need Lanvin to look fab at 32... or at any age, for that matter.
xox
Mia

Anonymous said...

but darling you don't *look* too old for heart-shaped sunglasses! and the age you look is the only one that matters. I say wear 'em. besides everyone is wearing those multi-colored ray ban shades these days so you wouldn't stand out *that* much.

then again I'm writing this from tokyo. so take it with a grain of salt.

Anonymous said...

I'm charmed to know that I have some involvement in sending anyone to Paris. ;) And yes perhaps you are a Parisian...(I think you are!).
nancy

Guerreira said...

also at 32, i have been thinking about it too! and it were the lolita glasses that triggered it for me too. still haven't got the solution, but decided against the glasses...