Monday, July 28, 2008

CAN'T STOP, WON'T STOP...





...enjoying the few days of summer. British people really know how to enjoy the hot weather - it could be over in a day or a week. No apologies for escaping to the sea at the drop of a hat. The slippers made me feel like Bill Murray in Lost in Translation.



This picture doesn't really make sense unless you look at it BIG. I'm an incorrigible stalker of geriatrics, did you know that? This lady (in the photo) was so exquisitely made up - sporting perfectly applied red lippy to read her book - that I had to take a photo. I was trying to be subtle - unfortunately her husband was looking right at me (from inside the beach hut - can you see him?) which I only realised after I'd cheekily snapped away. I felt like a paparazzo - it wasn't a good feeling.

There's an ancient lady who goes to my local cafe that I always want to photograph or interview - but she's not a cute grandma type. If you hold the door open for her she'll say; "I'm perfectly capable thank you," so I'm too scared to ask her. She's about ninety - but has always got a vintage Givenchy headscarf on or a Belstaff jacket or some other indicator of erstwhile coolness. I imagine she was some kind of adventuress in her day.

Oh, but she was the best...

7 comments:

Stacy said...

enjoy the sunshine.

Anonymous said...

enjoy. please enjoy.
nancy

RD said...

This is the problem - yolked to my computer, when it turns hot and sticky (here) or just sunny (there), I don't really like the beach. I need to move to a more mountainous place...

hot bb

July Stars said...

When my family visits from the South of France they always laugh at the nakedness of London girls as soon as a ray of sunlight emerges!
You have to take a photo of your local 90 year old stylish lady, she sounds like such a character ...

Anonymous said...

oh come now, what's the worst she could say? bugger off? that won't kill you and if she invites you to tea and few stories and you get a photo out of it-- SO worth it!!!

enjoy the BEACH!!!!!

~bp

travel notes said...

Oh, that blue sky is divine. p.s. I enjoyed your Hitotoki submission :)

Claire said...

OK I will be brave and speak to her next time...I might say I'm doing a survey or something and need to take a photo!